Whether you are looking to add matcha tea to your morning or afternoon routine or you are simply looking for an alternative to coffee with some added healthy bonuses, we have compiled a list of some of the top 5 matcha tea recipes from across the internet along with the video below so you can learn how to brew your Matcha Tea!
Find out a little bit of history on matcha and why so many people are drinking matcha tea as a part of their daily and healthy lifestyle in our article 8 Benefits of Matcha Tea. With that out of the way, let's get into some recipes that are easy to make and will help you kickstart your energy levels, boost your mood and help you zone in on your flow, whether that is as soon as you wake up in the morning, the afternoon or as an evening delight to bring in the "made it home" vibes.
1. The Classic - Cup of Hot Matcha Tea
Let's start with the most basic and simple recipe to get you moving on your matcha journey.
- 1/2 to a full teaspoon of your matcha tea powder
- 100ml or 3.4floz of purified or spring water
- a cup or bowl
- kettle or pot
- an electric whisk or spoon to mix
- You will want to put your water into a kettle and start to boil it. Once you hear your kettle go off or see bubbles starting to roll continuously, go ahead and temp, it should be at 175 degrees Fahrenheit or 80 Celsius.
- Put your matcha powder into your bowl or cup.
- Pour in your water.
- Stir with whisk or spoon until you see the tea foam and bubble up and enjoy!
2. The Matcha Mojito - Cold Recipe
While the matcha mojito certainly sounds like a menacing tropical storm or Mexican professional wrestler, it's actually a really tasty treat and bound to give you a lovely energy boost!
- teaspoon of matcha tea powder
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of coconut water
- 1 and a 1/2 cups of baby spinach leaves
- handful of torn mint leaves
- small ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup of ice cubes
- juice of 2 limes
- teaspoon of vanilla
- Putting everything into a blender, go ahead and start it up! Blend your ingredients until smooth and there you have it!
3. Matcha Chai Latee - Sweet Recipe
For this next recipe we are going to get into multiple steps in preparation but don't worry, this drink is bound to put a smile on your face and make you think of pumpkins and fall colors!
- 1/2 cup of spring, filtered or purified water
- 1/2 cup of almond or coconut milk
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of matcha tea powder
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of cloves
- pinch of cardamom powder
- teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2-3 teaspoons of rice malt syrup (for sweetness)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Electric whisk
- Mix matcha tea powder with 2 tablespoons of hot water (about 175 degrees Fahrenheit or 80 degrees Celsius).
- Pour the remaining water into matcha mixture while stirring with electric whisk.
- Using a saucepan, heat up milk, syrup, vanilla and spices. Keep on until it just starts to boil, then remove from heat. Froth using electric whisk.
- Combine both matcha mixture and milk, give the top a sprinkle of cinnamon.
4. Matcha Green Tea Shots - Only 2 ingredients!
If you are missing the nightlife and what it was like to do shots with your friends at your favorite dive bar, try this healthy afternoon alternative.
- 2 teaspoons of matcha tea powder
- cup of sweetened almond milk
- martini shaker
- Put matcha tea powder and almond milk in martini shaker
- Shake it up, baby
5. Virgin Matcha Moscow Mule - Iced Recipe
And if you still can't quite seem to get enough of reliving the glory days, here's a recipe that's going to knock your socks off.
- 2 oz of hot water
- teaspoon matcha tea powder
- 10 oz of ginger ale
- 2 teaspoons of grated ginger
- 2 mugs
- crushed ice
- Combine and mix hot water (175 degrees Fahrenheit or 80 degrees Celsius) with matcha powder, this can sit aside for now
- Put crushed ice into both your mugs, fill 2/3rds of each mug with ginger ale, squeeze half a lime into each
- Each mug will get half of your matcha mixture
- Garnish with grated ginger
Voila! There you have 5 of the tastiest matcha tea recipes to get you going on your journey to a healthy lifestyle and just plain making a little teatime in your day.
What is matcha powder?
Matcha powder is the result of dried, crushed green tea leaves from the Camellia sinensis plant. This plant is also known as the "tea plant" and is the most common ingredient in most green teas. While traditional green tea is steeped, matcha powder is mixed into whatever it is being mixed with, giving you the full health benefits of ingesting the leaves of this plant over merely drinking an extract.
What mixes well with matcha?
Water is the most common solution for matcha, although there are plenty of recipes that also use coconut water, coconut and almond milk and even ginger beer and smoothie recipes.
Is it healthy to drink matcha green tea every day?
As with most things, moderation is definitely key. It is healthy to drink matcha green tea everyday so long as you are not overdoing it. Most people like to stick to one to two cups of matcha tea per day. And also as with most things, be sure to consult with your doctor on this one.